Wiper blades on new car

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
tobydog

Re: Wiper blades on new car

Post by tobydog » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Replaced the useless rear wiper with a Bosch, however, I still have the original front wipers with no problems. 24,500 miles and the car was 2 years old on June. Give the front wipers a good clean with vinegar whenever they start smearing and that seems to fix things.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Rory

Post by Rory » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:45 pm

I wonder if the cars have been treated with something and it's still on the screen - we've never had a problem with ours, or on any new car, for that matter.

I use Autoglym's Car Glass Polish and that seems to get rid of anything contaminating the screen. Clean the wiper blades too. Don't use a tea-towel that's been washed in fabric conditioner - I have a bunch of old ones that get washed separately.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

nick052

Post by nick052 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Quick update on this. Replaced the factory wipers with Bosch (which I’ve had 0% problems with before) Juddering totally gone (which is a big relief) but still having horrendous streaking mainly on the down sweep where the wiper fits to the arm.

I’ve cleaned the glass with Comma Glass Cleaner (which I’ve also found the best) until I’m blue in the face.

Car was in at Seat for mudguards fitting so asked them to take a look and I just got “couldn’t replicate issue”.

Does anyone know if it could be the tension in the wiper arms causing this and whether it’s adjustable?!

It’s really driving me mad so I may have to try asking an alternative dealer to take a look at it.

Paul F

Post by Paul F » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 am

I have the same issue, have changed to Bosch, improvement but still have a 2 inch width right on my sight line. Wife has an Audi A3 same size blades and has same issue. I think the wiper arm tension is not enough to keep such a large blade flat on the screen?

nick052

Post by nick052 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Paul F wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 am
I have the same issue, have changed to Bosch, improvement but still have a 2 inch width right on my sight line. Wife has an Audi A3 same size blades and has same issue. I think the wiper arm tension is not enough to keep such a large blade flat on the screen?

Agree 100% - a streak right down the screen in my eye line. It’s driving me bonkers but sounds like there's little I can do.

huggy51

Post by huggy51 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Totally agree. The VAG blades are useless.
Car went in for a software update, so complained to the dealer about the hideous noise the wipers made.
The response was "we can't find anything wrong". I don't know whether they are deaf, daft or both!
Changed them for Bosch blades - perfect.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:07 pm

nick052 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:36 am

Poundland make the wipers I think. 🤣

My tyres are Falken Azenis. Not sure if that’s common or not. I know the size is a bit strange as you don’t get many results on the tyre sites for them - they’re about £160 each fitted.

Jet washers are nice and discreet - look like fan style to me.
Yeh, think I posted on that other thread - I changed wipers not to Bosch but to a brand as recommended as 'best buy' by a car magazine, and haven't looked back. Well to be honest I couldn't look back with the original's either as they smeared the rear window :lol:

Apologies for going off subject but I just changed from the factory tyres to those Falken Azenis FK453cc, basically because they were labelled a few db quieter than the std factory tyres + reports of folk getting better life out of them. ( My factory tyres lasted 19k which I consider rubbish for my type of driving). They've been on the car for a few weeks and everyone, including me, think tyre roar is actually worse. How do you find them?

I've seen them advertised for £160 fitted at some garages too - I recall Blackcircles were about the same price, but I bought mine from Mytyres who supplied them £71 delivered. I paid £15 per tyre to have them fitted / balanced / old tyre disposal etc so worked out at £86 a corner. Happy with the price, not happy with the tyre roar tho. Worth noting if you need a replacement.

nick052

Post by nick052 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:07 pm
nick052 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:36 am

Poundland make the wipers I think. 🤣

My tyres are Falken Azenis. Not sure if that’s common or not. I know the size is a bit strange as you don’t get many results on the tyre sites for them - they’re about £160 each fitted.

Jet washers are nice and discreet - look like fan style to me.
Yeh, think I posted on that other thread - I changed wipers not to Bosch but to a brand as recommended as 'best buy' by a car magazine, and haven't looked back. Well to be honest I couldn't look back with the original's either as they smeared the rear window :lol:

Apologies for going off subject but I just changed from the factory tyres to those Falken Azenis FK453cc, basically because they were labelled a few db quieter than the std factory tyres + reports of folk getting better life out of them. ( My factory tyres lasted 19k which I consider rubbish for my type of driving). They've been on the car for a few weeks and everyone, including me, think tyre roar is actually worse. How do you find them?

I've seen them advertised for £160 fitted at some garages too - I recall Blackcircles were about the same price, but I bought mine from Mytyres who supplied them £71 delivered. I paid £15 per tyre to have them fitted / balanced / old tyre disposal etc so worked out at £86 a corner. Happy with the price, not happy with the tyre roar tho. Worth noting if you need a replacement.
If you don’t mind me asking, which brand of wipers did you get please? I’m contemplating trying something else (going to have a lot of spare sets at this rate!).

In terms of the tyre noise its not something I’ve consciously noticed and as you can tell by a lot of my postings, I get easily irritated. Those prices are excellent you found.

I may well change for either Dunlop/Bridgestone as found both those brands to be quiet in the past - but this is where you tell me that’s what the factory fit are. The Falken ones do handle well (as does the entire car, for me - almost defies physics). Obviously can’t comment on wear yet.

ATECAFRS

Post by ATECAFRS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:08 am

My 2019 model wipers were fine until i got autoglym super resin polish on the windscreen but now smears. Does the glass cleaner remove all polish, wax, sealant, resin, silicone, polymers etc that could have been applied. The blades could now also be contaminated with this too. Perhaps try panel wipe or research what removes these products.
I'm sure the fundamental wiper design is ok and bosch wipers are well tried and tested leaving screen contamination as main suspect.

KerryB

Post by KerryB » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:57 am

I wonder how much luck is involved here because my VAG wipers are silent and efficient. I had a full set of Bosch replacements sourced and ready to buy based on reports here, but I doubt if I’ll need them.
Lava Blue Ateca 2.0 Tdi (150) Excellence Lux DSG 4Drive, ordered 20th July 2019 (week 29) with an estimated 4 month delivery date. Update: Built Week 40; estimated ready for collection from dealer by 18/10 (week 42), i.e. 12 weeks from ordering.