1st service

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Ted K

1st service

Post by Ted K » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:16 pm

My car was first registered in March of this year (2019j. I am now being reminded electronically that an “oil service” is now due. As the car has only done 6,000 miles and is barely 9 months old, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Ted
1.5 petrol Excellence in silver.

Rory

Re: 1st service

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Sounds like it's set for variable servicing and whatever wizardry determins the oil change interval has decided it needs one.

For your mileage the car should be set for fixed interval servicing. Is the car leased?
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:03 am

That's very unusual.

Cars come from the factory set to variable servicing by default and in an ideal world, the salesperson should have asked you about your annual mileage / type of driving and recommended a service schedule accordingly. But it's not an ideal world and this is VAG we're talking about.

You defo need to have a word with the garage who sold you the car to find out what's going on.

If the car is set for fixed (annual) services then although the car was registered in March, it could have been PDI'd 11 months ago - i.e. the dealer had the car in stock and didn't reset the system when they registered it.

Variable servicing relies on a sensor which monitors the oil. Once it detects the engine oil has degraded to a certain point, it triggers that 'service required' sign. I've never heard of a car on variable service requesting a service after 6000 miles but I suppose if you've been doing lots of short trips ( i.e. never giviving the engine time to warm up ) it could be a genuine reminder. My guess tho is that that sensor may be faulty.

Only a dealer will hold the necessary information. You didn't buy your car from Arnold Clark by any chance?

Plusgas

Post by Plusgas » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Have you checked the service information under ‘Car’ in the ‘Information Centre’?
The maintenance schedule also has codes at the front which helps to determine whether your vehicle is factory set for ‘long life’ of annual servicing. This can of course be changed to suit your driving characteristics.
Ateca 2.0 TDI Xcellence DGS 4WD 19" Alloys Pan Roof :roll:

boristhebold

Post by boristhebold » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Plusgas wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm
Have you checked the service information under ‘Car’ in the ‘Information Centre’?
The maintenance schedule also has codes at the front which helps to determine whether your vehicle is factory set for ‘long life’ of annual servicing. This can of course be changed to suit your driving characteristics.
Isn't it all a palava when the actual set up hasn't been done properly. How simple were the days of a simple annual or 10/12k service and we used our brains to work it out. I must be getting old

Ted K

Post by Ted K » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks all, I will check the settings in th information centre. In response to Rory the car is not leased but I bought it at 3 months old from a garage via someone who had it as motability vehicle.
Ted

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Ted K wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 pm
.... via someone who had it as motability vehicle.
They're regarded as lease cars so would be set for longlife servicing.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Return to “Faults & Technical”