Piano black around gearstick - restoring shine?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
nick052

Piano black around gearstick - restoring shine?

Post by nick052 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Had the Ateca about 5 weeks and already started to get noticeable scratches around the gearstick on the piano black trim. I like the look of it but it scratches so easily as I’ve been so careful!

I managed to get the scratches out using scratch remover but unfortunately I have made it even more noticeable as it has left a dull section without shine (I knew it basically worked by taking the top layer off but didn’t expect it to look like it does now!).

Does anyone know please what can I use to restore the shine to the area I have messed up?

Almost wish I’d left it alone.

tobydog

Re: Piano black around gearstick - restoring shine?

Post by tobydog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 am

Scratch remover removes the actual scratch because it is an abrasive and will never provide a finished surface. That's only stage 1 when it's used on bodywork. For stage 2 I should now try a quality car wax to finish it off. No guarantee it works on plastic but nothing to lose. Now that you've broken the surface you might need the occasional re-application. What was actually scratching it in the first place? Had mine nearly two and a half years and it still looks like new.

Somebody else might suggest an alternative fix.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

nick052

Post by nick052 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Cheers - will try the wax I use on outside. Can’t hurt as you say.

I suspect I lightly scratched it somehow when picking up my mobile from the tray behind the gearstick. I will be even more careful in future.
Last edited by nick052 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vectra

Post by vectra » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 pm

you will need to get it machine polished with a nano polisher.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Furion

Post by Furion » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 pm

my two cents worth, YouTube some videos of removing scratches from paint work,
Unless you are very confident don’t start sanding down anything, practice sanding on a similar material, starting with a medium to fine grade of paper until you get to something p1200 . Because space is restricted it would better to remove the panel to work on it, otherwise you will just scratch other bits of the car and even if you use something like a Dremmel with polishing pad the polish will spray everywhere, kind of like if you turn a juicer on without a top, but not quite as drastic as that, but you get the idea. Polishing is an art, it takes practice, don’t do anything more until you have practiced otherwise you will end replacing the whole part.

I have been thinking of applying a ceramic coat to the interior gloss panels which may offer some protection.
Furion
Ordered 27/06 : Build Completed WK40, Collected 1st Nov 19.
Ateca Xcellence Lux 2.0TDI 150 DSG 4Drive, Black Magic. MY20
Gone but not forgotten : Jaguar XF 3.0TDV6 2011

vectra

Post by vectra » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:26 am

Personally I wouldn't go sanding it.
1200 would be way too course anyway, you would really need to finish with a 3000 grade, then polish it up,
So back to my first comment.
Nano machine polisher, but ceramic coating it would offer small protection.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am

Not liking the replies. Removing a scratch on the body work is removing a layer of paint. Even surface scratch on plastic bites in to the plastic.

Only way of restoring it would be to flat down the whole plastic panel and then re-paint / buff / re-apply top layer. Or simply buy a new panel. One word of warning - piano black is notoriusly scratch prone so chances are you'll replace the surround and it'll get scratched again within days.

Unless badly marked, I'd just leave the scratches there.

vectra

Post by vectra » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 am

Golfmk56 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am
Not liking the replies.
What is not to like ?
Nano polisher is the way to go.

nick052

Post by nick052 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am
Unless badly marked, I'd just leave the scratches there.
Yes, I definitely wish I had as it looks worse now.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”