A few Q's about servicing

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Ulrich

A few Q's about servicing

Post by Ulrich » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi All,

My Ateca says a service is required soon. It's on long service and almost 2 years old. Done 1500 miles (don't laugh :roll: )
Just wanted to check some things before I go and book a service with one of the dealers online:
1. Is there anything else apart from changing oil/filter to do during this service?
2. Is it essential to go to a dealer - what pros and cons of it compared to independent garages?
3. Where I service my car should not impact my warranty if original parts are used, is that correct?
4. How can I find pollen filters' details to order it? Apparently it's an easy DIY procedure so I just need to buy a new filter.

I don't mind going to a dealer but wanted to explore my options as it's a new territory for me.
Any constructive info/advice is greatly appreciated.
ATECA EST 1.4ECOTSI XCLNCE DSG Velvet Red
ADVANCED COMFORT AND DRIVING PLUS PACK
TOW BAR PRE-INSTALLATION WITH HOOK
TOP VIEW CAMERA +PAEK ASSIST SYSTEM WITH STEERING ASSIST HEATED WINDSCREEN + SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL

dave b

Re: A few Q's about servicing

Post by dave b » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Point 3 is correct.

Personally for the little you'd save going indie or doing it yourself, I'd use a main dealer for the simple reason that with that mileage, you're likely to not need another service during its warranty...so any issues within say the 6-9mths after warranty expires will be purely down to goodwill by your dealer. Goodwill could save you hundreds.

(But...1500miles in 2 years ...wow. Have you thought of taxis and an electric push bike...seriously ?? I think it is only when you write it all down that you actually look at real world costs.....I'd imagine yours has cost upwards of £5 a mile in your ownership....my FiL has similar low mileage and simply accepts the cost v convenience)

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 pm

I found the SEAT dealer we use was quite switched on above longlife servicing, and the longlife service costs were quite a bit more that the fixed interval charges - basically because the car is having a major service each visit, but without actually changing much. With VW dealers it seems much more random, and I've seen lots of comments from people with leased cars where the dealer literally just does an oil and filter change, even though the car should, due to time elapsed, have an Inspection service too.

You can get it servicied anywhere as long as genuine parts are used, SEAT schedule is followed etc. I've always taken the line of least resistance on things like this and used the relevant dealer, although if you have a trusty garage on hand it might be worth using them if only to stop the dealer messing about with the car.

Does your 1500 miles comprise a lot of short journeys? If so, and you're thinking of keeping the car long term, I'd be minded to get the oil changed more often - it gets condensation in it which becomes acidic.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks of your responses guys!
I take it it's safe to go to a dealer. Don't know if the prices vary as £249 looks pretty similar to what I saw when I bought the car.

Regarding the mileage - it's a long story with a lot of details, but it's a second car and we use it for longer (25-100miles) journeys. The second car is used for day-to-day short journeys so everything is more or less as it should be apart form the fact that one of the reasons to buy Ateca and pay for a towbar was ability to go out with 3 bikes. For various reasons I've just started looking at what's on offer and hope to buy something appropriate soon.
TOP VIEW CAMERA +PAEK ASSIST SYSTEM WITH STEERING ASSIST HEATED WINDSCREEN + SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:38 am

Ulrich wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:03 pm
Hi All,

My Ateca says a service is required soon. It's on long service and almost 2 years old. Done 1500 miles (don't laugh :roll: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ulrich wrote: 1. Is there anything else apart from changing oil/filter to do during this service?
Not really - it's more or less an oil service with a few checks and adjustments. 1st variable is same as a 'minor' service - should be same price.
Ulrich wrote: 2. Is it essential to go to a dealer - what pros and cons of it compared to independent garages?
100% agree with above comment, an indi won't be that much cheaper + benefit of main dealer is good will and may look better when you sell the car.
Ulrich wrote: 3. Where I service my car should not impact my warranty if original parts are used, is that correct?
Correct. Just make sure it's a VAT registered garage and defo keep all receipts of work done and parts used. And make sure they use correct spec oil especially if on long-life servicing.
Ulrich wrote: 4. How can I find pollen filters' details to order it? Apparently it's an easy DIY procedure so I just need to buy a new filter.
Great question. Go to any motorfactor or look online and just enter your vehicle details on merchants site. You'll find you can buy / have the pollen filter delivered for around £10. If you then ask your dealer to quote you for a service without the pollen filter, they should reduce the price by £30-£40 - it's such an easy way to save money. And yes it's a 5min job to fit. Just remeber to keep your receipt.
Ulrich wrote: Any constructive info/advice is greatly appreciated
I too subscribe to variable or long-life servicing. My mileage is only 5000 a year most of which is out of town. ( I hate using a car for short journeys ). Our other car is around 8000 miles a year but that's almost exclusively short journeys. What I do there is have the variable services done at main dealer but have the oil + filter + sump plug changed locally. ( I supply the oil + filter + sump plug ) - I only pay garage for their time.

Don't know your circumstances but at 1500 miles in 2yr, I'd defo consider using the car more - even if t's just a gentle drive thru the countryside for an hour or so once a week. I'm surprised you're not experiencing problems with the battery. Do you have it on trickle charge?

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks Golfmk56!

When you say "ask your dealer to quote you for a service without the pollen filter" does it mean that it is included in price by default?
I do the same in terms of servicing with my more used car ;)
Understand that it's better for the car to be used more frequently, will plan for it. Its battery isn't on trickle charge but I only saw "Low battery" warning recently and cured it by a ride to Gatwick and back as had to meet my mother-in-law.