Auto Finesse Caramics DIY ceramic coating - Now with pics!

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Twed701

Auto Finesse Caramics DIY ceramic coating - Now with pics!

Post by Twed701 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 am

Pics didn't load on the first post so here we go again...

Spent most of Saturday social distancing myself from the Mrs! :lol:

When i got my FR Sport the plan was to apply some sort of ceramic coating myself as I wasn;t going to fork out £800 for a detailer to do it. Due to having a newborn and the weather being utter pish, I opted for the easy DIY kit, Caramics by Auto Finesse. After seeing a few videos online I thought I'd give it a go.

The car wasn't that dirty to start with but got washed using the 2 bucket method they clayed it using a clay cloth and some lube. First time i've washed it and was pretty cool to see all the details on the car and I've decided that the wheels are a right arse to wash!

First few pics are after the wash and also found a few scratches on the NS wing which I think I may have done myself with the clay cloth but managed to polish out. :shock:

After drying and claying, I started with the Caramics kit. No during pictures unfortunately but basically you have to make sure the paint is clean, dry and contaminant free. If there's loads of swirls and scratches then they recommend a paint correction before applying but mine had very few marks with it only being a few weeks old so didn't bother but if time permitted, I would have used Auto Glymm super resin polish.

Before applying you need to wipe down the panels with the panel wipe they provide in the box. There's 8 packets of ceramic resin wipes. Instructions say to use 1 per panel, and apply it in a cross hatch pattern (up and down, then left and right) to ensure an even coating. I only used 5 as they're very saturated. Bonnet and front bumper, sides, boot and rear bumper and the roof. Leave it to flash for 2-5 minutes then level it off with a microfibre towel then use another to buff it to a shine.

This took quite a while to do, I should have used 2 wipes per side as it's a lot of area to try and buff it all off before it dries on. The sun also had the cheek to shine whilst applying it which also made it a bit more of an arse to buff off (you're supposed to do this inside and keep it inside for 6 hours).

Anyhoo, here's the end result! The car has a much deeper shine to it now and also has that wet look. Pictures don't do it much justice due to the winter sun washing out the colour in the pictures but you get the idea. Will see how it fairs over the next 6 months is as it's supposed to last a year. :)

vectra

Re: Auto Finesse Caramics DIY ceramic coating - Now with pics!

Post by vectra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 am

Gloss looks very good,
I am actually warming to that color. Very nice.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Looks great. Well worth the effort when new and no weathering.
MY2020 FR Sport 1.5TSI manual Rhodium grey, spare wheel kit.

Nikkijamie

Post by Nikkijamie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am

Always wanted to do this but due to having no where to apply it out of the sunlight/ dust etc have hesitated in buying anything.
Does this stuff need to cure for 24 hours in a dustless climate controlled environment like most others
Ateca 1.4dsg excellence 150ps, Nevada white,tow bar,seat sound

thecokanee

Post by thecokanee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:59 am

looking good

vectra

Post by vectra » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Nikkijamie wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am
Always wanted to do this but due to having no where to apply it out of the sunlight/ dust etc have hesitated in buying anything.
Does this stuff need to cure for 24 hours in a dustless climate controlled environment like most others
Carpro CQUK might suit you.
I used it outdoors several cars back and it worked perfectly.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

Nikkijamie

Post by Nikkijamie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:19 am

vectra wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 pm
Nikkijamie wrote:
Might give it a go when the weather gets more consistent

Twed701

Post by Twed701 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 am

Nikkijamie wrote:
The instructions say to not to expose it to the elements for 6 hours so you could easily do it in a morning and it'll be reet by the evening

Twed701

Post by Twed701 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:25 am

vectra wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 pm
Nikkijamie wrote:
Will check that one out too!

I made some mistakes with this kit by trying to cover too large an area at once then it became a bit of an arse to buff off so kinda know what not to do now. :lol:

Nikkijamie

Post by Nikkijamie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Yep they all say one panel at a time normally