SEAT Ateca 1.0 Tsi Ecomotive (3rd service)

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Gadget34

SEAT Ateca 1.0 Tsi Ecomotive (3rd service)

Post by Gadget34 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi all, My seat is flashing up Oil service 30 days. I bought the car used at the end of July 2019. The dealer did a service at the time I bought the car.
I remember chatting to the dealer about a 3rd service and they said it would be a major?
I have got a price from my local independent and they stated that the spark plugs don't need replacing on the 3 year yet on the dealer website it states on a major they get replaced.
My car is in Warranty until October so conscious I need to use a VAT registered garage and approved parts

Also does this just mean I need an Oil change and not a service? I guess I may as well get the service done as July isn't far off...

Rory

Re: SEAT Ateca 1.0 Tsi Ecomotive (3rd service)

Post by Rory » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:29 pm

If it's on fixed interval servicing, 10K/1yr, then 3rd year service is just a minor one - an oil change and a few basic checks. Maybe brake fluid change as well at 3yrs (at least that's what VW do).

Services alternate minor / major, but plugs (or diesel filter) and air filter only get changed every 4 yrs.

If it's on variable/longlife servicing then it's a bit more complicated as the oil changes and inspections can come at different times.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Gadget34

Post by Gadget34 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:53 am

I checked in the car and it appears to be long life. It wants an oil service in 30 days and the inspection in about 100 days.
With the current situation and dealers only doing critical work I can leave it and Seat will still honour the warranty or I can take it to my local VAT registered garage.

Do you know what the inspection contains for 3 years? Is this just an interim for now?

Is it better to change to fixed servicing? I only do about 6,000 miles a year mainly town. Would this then just rotate interim and major services?

Rory

Post by Rory » Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 am

Our Tiguan is set for long life servicing but I just ignored it and get it serviced every year - on the VW (and SEAT) service plan they mandate fixed interval servicing anyway. They say if less than 10K/yr the car should be on fixed interval and to be on longlife then it should be doing at least 25 miles each day the car is used.

The issue with longlife is dealers don't seem to be able to separate "oil change" and "inspection" - they want to do both at once so you end up having what is effectively a major service every time. This is fair enough if the car runs through towards two years as it's the same as would happen on fixed interval, but it could become expensive if the car is asking for services early because it doesn't like the way the car is being used. I've never seen a clear expanation of how the oil change countdown works though - suggestions are that the engine monitors oil quality, cold starts etc.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Gadget34

Post by Gadget34 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Ok, I think I definitely need to be fixed term rather than long life. I will have to wait for the dealer to reopen to change it over I guess on the software.

My local independent has quoted £238 for a full service which includes the air filter and pollen filter.

The dealer only seems to offer interim for £175 or major for £295.

The actual inspection isn’t due until august so I can wait and see if a dealer is open I guess as the cost isn’t much more...

Technically it only needs an interim if the air and pollen filter don’t need doing. Then the software amending to fixed rather than long life 😀