Build quality

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
Bocca70

Build quality

Post by Bocca70 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Having had my Ateca since January and now at 1600 miles, I would like to share my thoughts about build quality. Whilst I got a fantastic deal for this car, it is a £29000 car and I expect it to be well put together.

So far, I have:
- rattles and creaks behind the dashboard in several places, many of which have been mentioned by others on this site (I know Spain has lovely smooth roads but even they must have the odd bump in the road)
- rear brakes that squeal as I reverse
- water leaking from a weld in the rear silencer
- air conditioning which I found out today doesn’t work
- Apple car play fails regularly and infotainment needs restarting
- bunny hopping pulling away with a cold engine.

All of this and they’ve been building Atecas for 3 years.

I will say that I still love driving the car and think it looks great too. I’m getting over 40mpg and, when it’s working, feel the infotainment is much better than previous Audi cars I’ve had.

I just feel disappointed and am liking a car I should love.
MY2020 FR Sport 1.5TSI manual Rhodium grey, spare wheel kit.

Chop

Re: Build quality

Post by Chop » Wed May 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi there,

The only real irritations I have experienced in 5900 miles are:

Rattly interior - not necessarily behind the dash, but both sides somewhere and the passenger air vent,
Slight lumpiness when very cold,
VERY firm ride - but I guess I knew this when I bought it,
Sudden emergency stops,
Excessive DSG creep,
Stop start cuts in before the car stops. This causes the car to coast with the engine off which is damaging to the DSG according to the handbook.

The rattles are my biggest bugbear and I have accepted the rest. It is a good, quick, economical and fun car to own.
2.0 TSI Xcellence in Rhodium Grey, 2020 spec, spare wheel and panoramic roof.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:30 pm

Bocca70 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:00 pm
Having had my Ateca since January and now at 1600 miles, I would like to share my thoughts about build quality. Whilst I got a fantastic deal for this car, it is a £29000 car and I expect it to be well put together.

So far, I have:
- rattles and creaks behind the dashboard in several places, many of which have been mentioned by others on this site (I know Spain has lovely smooth roads but even they must have the odd bump in the road)
- rear brakes that squeal as I reverse
- water leaking from a weld in the rear silencer
- air conditioning which I found out today doesn’t work
- Apple car play fails regularly and infotainment needs restarting
- bunny hopping pulling away with a cold engine.

All of this and they’ve been building Atecas for 3 years.

I will say that I still love driving the car and think it looks great too. I’m getting over 40mpg and, when it’s working, feel the infotainment is much better than previous Audi cars I’ve had.

I just feel disappointed and am liking a car I should love.
I didn't have any rattles or squeaks in my car in almost 3yr of ownership.
Search the forum for brake squeal. It's a common issue with all the VAG brands and the manufacturer is aware of it. Your dealer should replace those pads under warranty.
Reast of it all sounds bad but the bunnyhoping? Is this a brand new car you bought. The fix for this should have been applied. Again, take it to your dealer and ask if the car has the most recent engine software version. They should be able to replicate the problem.

vectra

Post by vectra » Fri May 08, 2020 12:55 am

Ive had none of the above problems in 9 months of ownership.
Except for the software update to solve the jerking on take off while cold.
MY19 Ateca FR 1.5Tsi DSG Velvet red, Digital cockpit, Beats audio, Winter pack, Leather, adaptive cruise, Electric boot, Kessy, Lane assist, Connectivity box, Alarm, Kessy, Rear view Camera. 8-)

SciAteca

Post by SciAteca » Fri May 08, 2020 2:13 pm

I’ve had mine since Feb. 2017, they started building mid 2016.
The only problem I had was the chrome plate on the Start button surround peeled off and was replaced under warranty.At that time the dealer had a few more back for the same fault.
The “leaking exhaust” is there by design, to allow condensate to escape.
If you look underneath the back box rear flange you’ll see a hole about 4-5 mm dia punched in.
Nevada White SE 1.0 Connectivity Hub, Dark tints, Boot divider net, Top view camera, Power tailgate, KESSY, Convenience pack, Dynamic m/c alloys, full LED lights, Sat Nav, + Dealer fitted: Mud flaps, Sill foils, Front panel trim, Life Shine, Spare wheel.

Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:36 pm

This is where the leak is. I saw the hole punched in the centre silencer but my issue is with the rear silencer where there’s no hole.

3FF5648E-6BD8-42B3-A334-BB1A6B3C9CAB.jpeg

B3E10D5B-E650-4048-95C7-F494BF2219D2.jpeg

MY2020 FR Sport 1.5TSI manual Rhodium grey, spare wheel kit.

Zebes

Post by Zebes » Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi,

I'm currently on just over 2000 miles and I'm having some of the same issues. I'm getting a creaking noise from the steering wheel at low speeds and also the noise from the rear brakes sometimes when reversing. Before I had the ateca I had a Tiguan and had problems with the brakes on that. The discs corroded on both rears and the fronts were warped after around 16000 miles. I'm wary that it's a VAG problem and don't want the same happening on my ateca. The issue with the stop start cutting out before the car stops is annoying. This is definitely not limited to the just the ateca, it's common on VAG cars
MY20 Ateca FR Sport 2.0 tdi 150 DSG, Velvet Red, Tow bar

Chop

Post by Chop » Sat May 16, 2020 10:36 pm

The handbook states that if you coast in neutral with the engine shut down, you will destroy the DSG gearbox. The question is - when the car coasts after the start - stop prematurely shuts down the engine, is the car in neutral or in gear? If it is neutral, as is likely, it must be damaging the gear box. I hope SEAT have considered this in their design.
2.0 TSI Xcellence in Rhodium Grey, 2020 spec, spare wheel and panoramic roof.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Chop wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:36 pm
I hope SEAT have considered this in their design.
It's not SEAT that designed the gearbox, it was VAG and it's used throughout SEAT, SKODA, VW and AUDI. And given the millions of cars a year they sell...

MBM

Post by MBM » Mon May 18, 2020 6:22 am

"only" issues is the rattle behind dashboard and right side door.
Rhodium Grey, 1.4 DSG, Virtual cockpit, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc.
Denmark.