1.4 TSI Water pump leak

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
TrophyJem

1.4 TSI Water pump leak

Post by TrophyJem » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi all,

My 3 year old (just over so of of warranty) 24K mile Ateca has just sprung a leak from around the water pump.

I checked all the hoses and they seemed fine, but the bottom of the water pump was definitely leaking. Couldn't see where from exactly but could definitely feel it coming out, all be it quite slowly.

I drained the system and removed the water pump and I fully expected to see evidence of where it had leaked from, but I can't.
There's no play on the water pump drive shaft and no tell tale sign of where it has leaked from.
The seals all look fine, but its difficult to tell as they have stuck somewhat so I've damaged them on removal.
I'm reluctant to replace the pump if it's not actually faulty, as it could just be the seals, but likewise I don't want to fit new seals and it still leaks as its such a pain to remove.

Just thought I'd post on here in case anyone else has had a similar problem.
Ateca Xcellence 1.4TSI in Nevada white.
Order date 6 March 2017. Build week, was week 19 then week 28, then confirmed for week 18.
Built Friday 28th April (week 17) - Shipped from Emden 9th May - Collected 19th May :D

Dsldude

Re: 1.4 TSI Water pump leak

Post by Dsldude » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Oh that sucks I have the same engine, where is the water pump on this block out of interest I will check mine.

Did you not approach the dealer about this, with it just being out of warranty and the perfect reason why you could not bring the car in due to the lockdown, if you can make it look like you haven't touched it, I really would pressure them to cover this repair.
2017 1.4 TSI DSG Xcellence In Lava Blue, Options: Panoramic Roof, Virtual Pedal Boot, Double Boot Floor.

SEAT Direct Parts

Re: 1.4 TSI Water pump leak

Post by SEAT Direct Parts » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Always ask the dealer if there is any good will credit towards a repair, Skoda Octavias has a huge problem with water pumps and Skoda use to pay 100% of the repair for 2 years outside of warranty
Genuine SEAT Parts & Accessories at Trade Prices
All shipped direct to your door.
Get in touch today!
http://seatdirectparts.co.uk